LibertyCalls

LibertyCalls.org Forums

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 (HR 875)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
catocom
Patriot

Male Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 (HR 875)   April 16th 2009, 15:30

I don't particularly like it.

What's your take on it?

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-875
Back to top Go down
maysunsmiracle
Liberty Leaders
Liberty Leaders

Female Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 (HR 875)   April 16th 2009, 20:00

I've already emailed and called about this one!! It harms farmers markets and smaller organic farms and farmers because they can't afford to comply with all the expensive gov't regulations. It BENEFITS Monsanto, the evil corporate giant who produces genetically altered food. It's being marketed to us under the guise of making our food more "safe"... If anyone has time, youtube "the future of food" this is a serious issue and i'm glad you brought it up. This has def. been one of my soapboxes....I get so angry about this one!! yi yi yi
I joined millions against Monsanto some time ago and get alerts about them. bleck.
Back to top Go down
milliam
LibertyCalls.org Supporter
LibertyCalls.org Supporter

Male Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 (HR 875)   April 17th 2009, 22:43

I watched an internet movie about Monsanto and have to say its horrible. The one point that stuck with me was how Monsanto has in their "contract" with the farmers that they can't keep any of the seeds from their crops to replant the next year. They have to buy more seeds from Monsanto. So if they grow corn, better makes sure none of those kernals end up back in the ground. There were a few they interviewed who had lost their farms from Monsanto suing them over this. I guess its one of those deals where they danced with the devil, but from what I understand, its hard for them to compete if they aren't using the genetically modified plants.
Back to top Go down
SpringerRider
Patriot

Male Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 (HR 875)   April 18th 2009, 00:29

I don't support the bill. I design food automation systems and survive from the food processing industry. I don't agree with the Monsanto assessment.

Kelly, you have been eating genetically altered corn since your first bottle of baby food. Corn in its natural and native state was about the size of your pinky when the Europeans discovered it in America. It was from years of selective breeding (which is genetically altering) that we have the robust kernels that we eat today. The fact that Monsanto protects those kernels, which are their physical and intellectual property is how a company survives in a ruthless industry.

The world could not be fed by little back-yard "organic" gardens. It takes giants like Monsanto, Tyson, Cargil, etc., etc. to insire that America and much of hte world does not starve each and every day.

What we are calling genetically altered corn is kernels that whose DNA is controlled to insure that the resultant seeds are the most seed resistant and return the greatest yield.

Kelly, you sound like a sincere and sweet young lady. I do wish I had the time to sit down and educate you about the world. I have read your posts.

Right now, take it on faith that big business is not out to kill you and corporations are not evil. For grounding, I would like you to read Atals Shrugged. I sense you are very passionate and welcome you to our cause. You just need the right tools in that holster.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 (HR 875)   April 18th 2009, 02:53

I have alot of respect for all of you on this thread, and I would like to know more myself.

There seems to always be more than two sides to a story - and how things are portrayed are often the determining factor on how we see them.

Michael Moore could not have whipped up the left into such a frenzy without an angle and the ability to edit. Our little Party the other day was viewed by some as ( what was it? ) "300 white people saying" Down with Obama" and also as "...700.." patriots defending their right to liberty. Depends on who you ask.

So, in other words, I don't want anyone to get their feelings hurt, but as long as the debate is civil I don't see why it shouldn't go on. I know so little about this subject, I can't wait to hear more from anyone that has an opinion on it, and the facts to back those opinions up.

If things have not changed, Monsanto is into alot more than food, btw. I know they used to be in the textile business as well and supplied the yarn for the carpet mill I worked in when I quit college to "get a real job." That is a totally other, sad and depressing story though, friends. Smile

So...Monsanto, GE, WalMart...bad companies destroying America for profit....or companies under attack from former workers, competitors or liberals?

If I had popcorn, I'd be eating it.

Actually, I should be asleep...but I haven't slept well in two months. These are the times that are trying my soul...that's for sure.

Back to top Go down
http://libertycalls.aforumfree.com
DonnaC
Defender of Liberty
Defender of Liberty

Female Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-04-12

PostSubject: Seeds   April 18th 2009, 07:53

I had also heard some company, and it may be Monsanto, was trying to get all of the non-hybridized seed out of the marketplace. As most of you probably know, if seed is hybridized, you cannot plant the seed, that comes from the plant, and expect a true reproduction in the next generation. If seed is non-hybridized, you can plant the seed from the plant year after year, and the result will be identical. Of course, the purpose to this move would be to cause farmers to have to buy new seed every year; but in the event of a disaster, when the food supply was affected, you would not be able to reproduce your own seed. I know, for our garden this year, we are looking for mostly the old-fashioned, non-hybridized seed.

This was just something I heard in passing, but combined with this newest initiative, I wouldn't be surprised.

I heard a lady, who runs a small farm, say they would be put out of business; because they would be required to track the names of everyone who buys their products. Of course, they've pounced on the peanut butter thing to give themselves coverage on this.

We've got to get over the idea the government can protect us from every eventuality, I'm sorry. Bad things happen; and if we want to continue to have an abundant, cheap food supply, there are going to be problems from time to time. As far as "organic" fruits and veggies, I've seen studies that say they're more dangerous than those treated with synthetics. Organics are fertilized with, excuse the term, "poop," and "poop" is loaded with all kinds of dangerous organisms. If you'll remember, the spinach that killed so many people was organic!
Back to top Go down
catocom
Patriot

PostSubject: Re: Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 (HR 875)   April 18th 2009, 08:33

IMO growing food is between the farmer and God.
State/fed should only have a say in the distribution because if food safely.

I understand subsidies for commercial farmers because of need, and the way money does some,
but...again greed is in the mix, and the want of power period.

That is the problem imho, politicians putting money a head of Everything.
Back to top Go down
maysunsmiracle
Liberty Leaders
Liberty Leaders

Female Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 (HR 875)   April 18th 2009, 11:38

Look up how many of our upper politicians have worked for Monsanto. It will surprise you. The problem I have is also what they call the "terminator gene" that kills the ability to reuse the seeds you collect from your harvest..Is that REALLY necessary?? I think it is just greed .This bill is just more govt regulation which I am against. More big govt. And like one of the previous posters, if the "hd@#" hits the fan...we won't be able to grow our own food should we find ourselves in a position that makes it necessary.. I understand that I have been eating food that has been altered, but ya gotta draw the line somewhere?
Just my humble opinion... Surprised)
Back to top Go down
catocom
Patriot

PostSubject: Re: Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 (HR 875)   April 18th 2009, 12:27

the way I see it...The more regulation and tax, the more the price hike on the end.
Back to top Go down
SpringerRider
Patriot

Male Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 (HR 875)   April 18th 2009, 13:16

I agree. I am against most government regulation. It is the Sherman Act (Anti-trust) that force companies to become oligopolies. In our country, you can only grow so large and then you learn you have violated anti-trust laws. This you learn after the fact. Since business must grow and invest (they can't stuff matresses) they start to reach out into other businesses to avoid anti-trust violations. That is why you have a Monsanto that owns a real-estate companies. Oligopolies are hard to keep stable and are not the best business model but in the US, thay are a necessary evil.

Business is about making a profit for the shareholders. When Tyson contracts a grow out farm, they completely take over the farm. They tell the farmer the hours the lights are on in the poultry house, what temperature to keep them, the feed that is used and the day the house is brought in. Everything is controlled. It has to be. A house comes in to fill an order. The weight of the chickens are determined ahead of time. If the house comes in and the birds are light, it will take more birds to fill the order. If they are heavy, there will be waste. In the food industry, the money is made at the penny level, not the dollar. The brutal and beautiful competition of capitalism make the poutry plant one of the most efficient operations in the industry. And my job is to make it even more efficient.

Right as I write, I have designed and am marketing a simple product that has a six month return on investment (ROI). It eliminates one person from the process. A base worker costs a poultry plant $35K/yr. They are not paid that but they cost that much. For each of my devices, they can remove one person. We sell it for $16K. Am I a ruthless businessman because I am reducing the labor needs by one? You decide.

Business is about operating at the lowest cost to return the greatest return. And you use everything to your advantage. Even the government. In a healthy country, a government has nothing to offer business. They can't be bought because they have nothjing to sell. (I am against subsidies ) But we are not in a capitalistic government and have been far from it since FDR. So, in order to survive you must play by the rules that exist. In other words, if everyone in your town is a pick-poket and you are honest, you are broke.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 (HR 875)   

Back to top Go down

Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 (HR 875)
Page 1 of 1