LibertyCalls

LibertyCalls.org Forums

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

What about the other amendments of the Bill of Rights?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wilberforce
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2009-02-28

PostSubject: What about the other amendments of the Bill of Rights?   February 28th 2009, 19:14

I agree that the 2nd amendment has special prominence, because without it, the remainder of the amendments are difficult to enforce, but where do we discuss issues around the other amendments and the Constitution itself?
Back to top Go down
milliam
LibertyCalls.org Supporter
LibertyCalls.org Supporter

Male Number of posts : 79

PostSubject: Re: What about the other amendments of the Bill of Rights?   February 28th 2009, 21:23

I believe there's this special board for gun rights for people like me...gun nuts. Its just one of those things that we discuss with lots of emotion.

You are correct though in the importance of the second amendment and its use to enforce and protect all of our other freedoms. You're also correct that we need to discuss all of our rights, but I think we all know when they take the second amendment away, they'll take everything right along with it.

As for discussions of other rights, Liberty or Death should be the place for that, but I don't think anyone is going to fault you for discussing stuff in any of the boards.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 314

PostSubject: Re: What about the other amendments of the Bill of Rights?   February 28th 2009, 23:39

Wilbur, the site just got up today. You might wanna hang on to your horses for me. Smile

The posts from Wilburforce don't sound like Coel talking( and why coel would choose that name i dunno - of course not many folks would call themselves coelacanth either! Smile lol ), but it would be some tremendous coincidence that our first truely "new" member that we don't already know from other forums is ALSO an attorney in Alpharetta. Smile But who knows? Maybe Coel got a "devils advocate" streak over the weekend? Smile

Wilburforce, if you're not our buddy Coel, then there's another lawyer that'll be along shortly and you two can talk law stuff perhaps. Smile and guns. and freedom of speech. And whether there is actually something in the Constitution seperating religion and politics.......

whoo-hoo here we go folks. Hang on.
Back to top Go down
http://libertycalls.aforumfree.com
Wilberforce
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 73

PostSubject: Re: What about the other amendments of the Bill of Rights?   March 1st 2009, 08:21

Yes, that would be quite a coincidence. But it's just little old me. Coelacanth by another name. Why Wilberforce? Because he was the only member of parliament to stand against slavery in Britain and worked tirelessly to see it outlawed. Actually, he died before it happened, but he started the fire that could not be extinguished. I just didn't think that a dinosaur fish was an appropriate name for a freedom-themed board. Go figure.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 314

PostSubject: Re: What about the other amendments of the Bill of Rights?   March 1st 2009, 11:44

Well, in that case hold your dang horses. Smile lol

I spelled your name wrong....my step-father-in-law's name was Wilbur ( spelled that way, with a U) soooreee...

Keep the suggestions coming......even if you are being PUSHY. Smile LOL tongue
Back to top Go down
http://libertycalls.aforumfree.com
SpringerRider
Patriot

Male Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-04-10

PostSubject: Re: What about the other amendments of the Bill of Rights?   April 11th 2009, 18:06

The 2nd Amendment is so much more than just owning a gun. I was a SA advocate long before I bought my first gun. The SA is about saying "No" to power. I read somewhere, possibly in the federalist papers, that there was a serious debate whether the SA should have come first. There is a statement in the Federalist Papers that does say something to the effect that if Europeans had had the right to arm themselves, they would have shed the yoke of tyranny long before the colonies had been discovered.

Whenever government becomes destructive of these ends (life, liberty, pursuit of happiness), it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute a new government.
Declaration of Independence of the American Colonies, 1776

I actually believe the apologist wording of the 2nd Amendment was worded that way to avoid showing doubt in the brand new republic. I mean, here is a new government and the first thing you write in the instruction manual is, “if this thing begins to run wild, take out your gun and shoot it!”. But that is the real purpose of the 2nd Amendment. It is the last check and balance against tyranny.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What about the other amendments of the Bill of Rights?   

Back to top Go down

What about the other amendments of the Bill of Rights?
Page 1 of 1